Vietnam is an S-shaped country that consists of mostly hills, mountains, and bodies of water. That is 80% of Vietnam. The remaining 20% consists of lowlands. The Red River Delta is one of the largest bodies of water in Vietnam covering 15,000 square kilometers. The Mekong Delta is larger, but Red River is more developed. Northern mountains are inhabited by tribal groups; the Annamite mountain range, which stretches from southwest China to Ho Chi Minh City (largest Vietnamese city), borders Laos, and the highest peak of the country (Fan Si Pan) sits at 3,142 meters as opposed to the lowest point at sea level. The Central Highlands make up over 51,000 square kilometers in the southern portion of Vietnam; it is mostly mountain peaks, forests, and holds rich soil. The Coastal Lowlands is very fertile and ranges from the Red River Delta to the Mekong Delta, which carries far more sediment than Red River and is one of the 12 greatest rivers in the world. Including Laos (Western side), Vietnam borders Cambodia (Southwestern side) and China on the North side. The South China Sea lies on the Eastern side while the Pacific Ocean is on the South.Vietnamese climate varies based on location. From October to April, monsoons are popular in the center of the country while from May to September they are in the North and South. If monsoons are not happening, the climate becomes dry. In terms of temperature, most of the country gets to be exceptionally hot, the peak being 40 Celsius (104 Fahrenheit); the North becomes cooler in the “winter” season, which is October to April. Vacationing seasons vary due to the obscure climate changes of the country.
Ha Long Bay: popular tourist destination